Monday, August 19, 2013

RCIA - "do you know what you're signing up for" - to prevent dropouts later catholic answers forum 4 dummies

Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #46  
Old Yesterday, 4:10 pm
jmcrae's Avatar
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Posts: 33,196
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RCIA - "do you know what you're signing up for" - to prevent dropouts later

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezey View Post
Interesting. And here I am wanting to never stop learning and was dropped. Hmmmm.
I don't get it, either.

In all my years in RCIA I have never dropped anyone.

I've had tons of people drop out when they found out that they had to go to the Marriage Tribunal to sort out their marriages, and I've had people drop out when they found out that the Church requires weekly Mass attendance, chastity according to one's state in life, etc., but I have never asked anyone to leave.

The only reason I ever would is if someone were a disruptive influence. And in my classroom, you would have to be extremely disruptive before I would throw you out. I'm used to working with teenagers, so I'm very thick-skinned.
__________________
According to Quentin Tarentino, (Kill Bill Volume 2) Clark Kent is Superman's opinion of the human race. It occurs to me that, using the same logic, Jesus of Nazareth is God's.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Yesterday, 4:33 pm
cheezey's Avatar
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2012
Posts: 7,019
Religion: I am not who I am yet
Default Re: RCIA - "do you know what you're signing up for" - to prevent dropouts later

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
I don't get it, either.

In all my years in RCIA I have never dropped anyone.

I've had tons of people drop out when they found out that they had to go to the Marriage Tribunal to sort out their marriages, and I've had people drop out when they found out that the Church requires weekly Mass attendance, chastity according to one's state in life, etc., but I have never asked anyone to leave.

The only reason I ever would is if someone were a disruptive influence. And in my classroom, you would have to be extremely disruptive before I would throw you out. I'm used to working with teenagers, so I'm very thick-skinned.
Thank you. I am still baffled. Haven't heard from anyone in that department in almost four months, just about the same time it took to get in, after 100 inquiries. It took the Bishop's office just to finally receive a return call. And now I am out. When I move, I could start again....may that be soon....
(I was not a difficult student, just for the record. I did once politely ask that he stop mentioning "losing me to the Protestants" but otherwise, I asked questions that he said were theologian-worthy, so it wasn't for lack of knowledge or ability...)
__________________

What could make me love my fellow Christian better
than to see that God loves us all
as we were all one soul?

Julian of Norwich


Please Let Us Be Mindful to Pray for the Homeless
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Yesterday, 4:48 pm
jmcrae's Avatar
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Posts: 33,196
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RCIA - "do you know what you're signing up for" - to prevent dropouts later

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezey View Post
Thank you. I am still baffled. Haven't heard from anyone in that department in almost four months, just about the same time it took to get in, after 100 inquiries. It took the Bishop's office just to finally receive a return call. And now I am out. When I move, I could start again....may that be soon....
(I was not a difficult student, just for the record. I did once politely ask that he stop mentioning "losing me to the Protestants" but otherwise, I asked questions that he said were theologian-worthy, so it wasn't for lack of knowledge or ability...)
Yes, start with a clean slate again when you move. Make sure the expectations are completely clear on whether you are supposed to wait for them to phone you, or just go to the classes as they occur.
__________________
According to Quentin Tarentino, (Kill Bill Volume 2) Clark Kent is Superman's opinion of the human race. It occurs to me that, using the same logic, Jesus of Nazareth is God's.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Today, 9:44 am
PJM PJM is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 31, 2008
Posts: 9,212
Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic
Default Re: RCIA - "do you know what you're signing up for" - to prevent dropouts later

Quote:
=jmcrae;11112316]Because in most cases all they were doing was punching their ticket to get the Sacraments - they came into the process thinking they knew it all, and never really opened themselves up to the learning.
As a former RCIA Teacher, and one who continues to Minister and explain and share our Faith to MANY who are considering the CC, I find myself disagreeing with your premisis.

Certainly the Sacraments ARE Important to catholics; but with the same certitude, they are most often not recogonized or understood by non-catholic-Christians. Therefore they have little initial dignifiance to them beyond trying to comprehend WHY they seem to SIGNIFIANT to us

My expereice with them leaving is more inclined to the following: [not necessarly in sequence of importance to them]

Unqualified teacher [s]

Liberal / Progressive [not much different than what they are running from] teachers

An inability to freely ask the questions on there minds and hearts

Either NOT fully teaching our beliefs or explaining them well

Teachers not provinding "evidence" of our beliefs so it comes off as just personal opinions

They find it "TOO Structured"

Not making a sufficient effort of having friendly and personal Fellowship durring RCIA [a HUGE ISSUE, both in RCIA and within the Catholic Community afterwards]

Typlically they come from some sort of "fellowship church" where often, beliefs are on on par or secondary to "Christian Fellowship"

Because we Catholics Do focus WORSHIP on GOD and that is the PRIMARY goal and purpose for our Mass; the lack of "Fellowship in our Worship" is a dramatically different FOCUS. Then because our catholi Fellowship varies soooo much from prish to parish; with the emphasis being on outside of Mass fellowship, that they are not INVITED SPECIFICALLY to join, they often [usually] suffer a SHOCK-lack of fellowship. They don't know about the ldies groups, Kof C, Bible study ect. HUGE error on our part.

Or as you suggested; not being open to the Holy Spirit trying and offering to work in their lives.

God Bless you,
patrick [PJM]
__________________
PJM


http://working4christ2.wordpress.com

Can we partake of God's GLORY and NOT partake of His PASSION? NO!


A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."

No comments:

Post a Comment